Remember, remember to move in MOVE-ember
FRIDAY, 3 NOVEMBER, 2017
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Remember, remember to move in
NHS Tayside’s Paediatric Overweight Service (POST) is encouraging families to keep moving this MOVE-ember.
The weather might be getting colder and the nights darker, but there’s no reason not to keep moving during the winter months. Keep your activity levels up and beat the winter blues.
Children aged over five need at least 60 minutes of physical activity every day, while children under five who are walking need at least three hours every day. You can build up activity throughout the day in 10-minute bursts, so don’t be discouraged by the weather, try adding bursts of activity into your daily routine.
The POST team message is not to be discouraged by the weather, add activity into your daily routine. Here are some ideas to kick start your Fun Fit Move-ember:
• Indoor obstacle course or treasure hunt - get creative with the little ones
• Show off your moves - make up a dance routine to your favourite songs
• Go for a winter walk - wrap up warm and spot the snowmen!
• Do the hula - play inside or outside with a hula hoop or skipping rope
• Try a new class or sport like judo, karate or bubble football
• Ice-skating/ice hockey - show off your moves on the ice
• Help with the chores such as like sweeping up the leaves or shovelling snow
• Do the daily mile as a family - tally up how far you’ve walked together this winter
Dr Laura Stewart, Weight Management Service Lead said, “Some families find it difficult to keep up their activity levels in the colder and darker months. I think we have given some good fun ideas to keep the whole family on the move.
“Spending too much time watching TV, DVDs or playing computer games can be unhealthy, so if you find yourself staring at a screen, make sure you’re still moving your body by using something like the NHS Change 4 Life 10-minute shake up or fun generator app.
“Keeping moving and being active helps to make us feel more energetic which should make it a little easier to get out of bed in the cold mornings. Regular physical activity in everyone’s daily life is proven to have many health benefits, so take advantage of the cold spell and try out some new activities.”
For those living in Dundee we are hoping to run a Fun Fit Dundee healthy weight group from January 2018.
To book a place on the Fun Fit Dundee groups, or if you have any concerns about your child’s weight you can contact POST in confidence on 01738 473784 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Send POST your Move-ember activity pictures on Twitter to @POSTNHST or www.facebook.com/nhstaysidePOST with the tag #funfittayside.
NHS Tayside Communications